Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien

The Hobbit really is one of the best books ever.  I mean it.  I read it for the first time in 5th grade (and participated in an adorable re-enactment of sorts...wonder if that is on video anywhere?) and then again in high school or college.  This time I listened to it in my car.  It was even better than I remembered.

Bilbo, a home-loving hobbit, takes off on an adventure to the Lonely Mountain with thirteen dwarves to recover treasure from a dragon named Smaug.  Along the way over the Misty Mountains, the road twists and turns as the adventurers encounter some interesting characters, including creepy-creepster Gollum.  The story is well-balanced with suspense and humor.  

If you've never read it or if you haven't read it lately, do yourself a favor and pick up The Hobbit before the movie, which looks ah-maze-ing, comes out in December!  

Read: August - September 2012 (via CD from the library)

No comments: