Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Queen's Fool

I adore Philippa Gregory books. I love learning about the Tudor monarchy. After reading the description of this book, I felt sure it wouldn't live up to her other books. But I was very wrong. This one begins shortly after Henry VIII dies and covers the reign of his son Edward, the coup d'etat of the Lady Jane Grey, and the sad reign of Henry's daughter Mary. It also gives you an idea of how Jews lived through the tumultuous Tudor times. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this one.

Plot: Hannah Green, an undercover Jew, becomes a Fool in the Tudor court and witnesses the rise and fall of Edward, Lady Jane Grey, Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth.

Read: October 2008

Related Books: The Virgin's Lover (next chronologically) and the Boleyn books, which come before it

Next Up: Twilight

No comments: